Thursday, April 7, 2016

An algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space.

This is fucked. up.

Every Noise Genre Map

Horse sent this to me last night because he was sick of me wrongly assigning genres to bands. It has already been really helpful in getting my head around the differences between all of the (11) black metals.

As an aside, mostly for Boss, I'm not sure how this was generated (seems to be linked to Spotify in some way?) but this also floats my boat in terms of its potential for amazing data viz. It's okay at present (purely algorithm based on the qualities of the sound of songs with particular tags, I think) but it would be amazing if they could overlay with info about how the genres relate to each other in terms of historical progression, etc.

PS: New Thugga, SS3. Better than I'm Up. On the outer reaches of trap music, according to the genre map. Love him.

Slime Season 3 (Stream)

1 comment:

  1. Very cool Pippo. I'm curious as to the metrics they use in order to plot the scatter. Interesting stuff. I've been hooning Beatdown, which I thought was a kinda deep Detroit house sound, but according to the Map is closer to hardcore, which has me confused.

    Also crazy is I've been listening to SS2 today, will give SS3 a whirl, although it is a lot to take in for my ears.

    ReplyDelete